Field Assisted Sintering Technology (FAST) of Gadolinium doped Cerium-oxide (GDC)
Group Manager Process Technology, Powder Metallurgy and Ceramics
- +49 241 80 99545
- Send Email
The electrochemical devices in the form of Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFCs) or solid oxide electrolysis cells (SOECs) adjure the tailoring of electrochemical properties in the form of material synthesis and processing conditions. Furthermore, FAST/SPS an innovative powder consolidation technology, offers the potential to tailor the microstructure and final properties of GDC. FAST/SPS being an economical process significantly reduces the energy demand and duration of the sintering cycle when compared to conventional sintering process. Amongst others, the electronic conductivity makes GDC a promising candidate for successful application of FAST/SPS due to the direct heating of the ceramic by the Joule effect.
- Understanding the influence on mass transportation by an electrical field of a Mixed Ionic and Electronic Conductor (MIEC), the investigation on the GDC.
- Manufacturing crack-free GDC samples using FAST
- Understanding the mechanisms involved for densification and grain growth during FAST of GDC
- Development of innovative Graphite tools and carrying out FAST experiments under a controlled atmosphere
- Development of innovative tool to simulation the FAST/SPS process
- Multiphysics Finite Element Simulations for FAST of manufacturing GDC samples with densification and grain growth
Sree Koundinya Sistla, Tarini Prasad Mishra, Yuanbin Deng, Anke Kaletsch, Martin Bram, Christoph Broeckmann (2019): Electric Field-Assisted Sintering of Gadolinium-Doped Ceria: Sintering and Grain Growth Kinetics (01). In: Journal of Ceramic Science and Technology. DOI: 10.4416/JCST2019-00045.
Tarini Prasad Mishra, Alexander M. Laptev, Mirko Ziegner, Sree Koudinya Sistla, Anke Kaletsch, Christoph Broeckmann (2020):Field-Assisted Sintering/Spark Plasma Sintering of Gadolinium-Doped Ceria with Controlled Re-oxidation for Crack Prevention. In: Materials (Basel, Switzerland) 13 (14). DOI: 10.3390/ma13143184
Sree Koundinya Sistla, Tarini Prasad Mishra, Yuanbin Deng, Anke Kaletsch, Martin Bram, Christoph Broeckmann (2020): Polarity Induced Grain Growth of Gadolinium doped Ceria under Field-Assisted Sintering Technology / Spark Plasma Sintering (FAST/SPS) conditions, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, https://doi.org/10.1111/jace.17614Copyright: © DFG
Grant Number: SPP1959